Meiningen the town in the mirror
of its theater
Meiningen in the Thuringian Forest was first mentioned in documents in the year of 892. According to discoveries excavated, the first stone church building was built on the soil of the present town church around the year of 1000. An official document of the year 1230 mentions the Town of Meiningen.
Around the year of 1550, a so-called “Relay System” (decentralized goods production and organized distribution system) emerged as a well functioning channel for wool, cloth, and linen weaving that lead to a growing commerce.
In the year of 1880, Meiningen advanced to be a residence of its own independent duchy. Under the influence of Dessau-Wörlitz, an English Garden was installed in the year of 1782 – it is one of the earliest facilities of its kind. The Meiningen Palace Theater was opened in the year of 1831. A large fire destroyed significant parts of the old town in the year of 1874.
The journeying time of the Meiningen Theater Ensemble throughout Europe in the years 1874 to 1890 served the purpose to expand the reform of acting. The first Meiningen theater building burned down in the year of 1908. The New Theater was again opened only after a one-year building time. In the year of 1920, the Town of Meiningen was merged into the Free State of Thuringia. The Town of Meiningen opened the Year of Bach in 2000.